Keeping watch on Trendwest / WorldMark by Wyndham

Monday, March 14, 2005

Example of WorldMark "rentals"

Okay, this is a listing for The WorldMark Club, which is the USA equivalent to WorldMark South Pacific. While I normally stick to WMSP sales, this is interesting because it is the "renting" of credits.

Under the WorldMark timeshare system, owners of units in WMSP receive yearly "credits" which they can use for holidays. The number of credits used depends upon the property, season, day of week and length of stay. Credits are meant to be used by the unitholders, but unitholders can make bookings on behalf of other people. The arrangement between the unitholder and "guest" is then the unitholder's responsibility. However, Trendwest recognise such a relationship and allow the guest's name to be put on a booking.

So, what happens if a unitholder wants to "sell" their yearly entitlement? Well, this isn't exactly selling, since they retain ownership of the units in WMSP. Instad, they "rent" their credits to somebody else for use at a property. It's like owning an apartment and then renting it out for a week.

I found this listing on eBay for somebody in the USA renting out their credits:

Do you need more credits for your next Worldmark vacation? If so, this auction is for you! These credits are similar the "fax" credits that you can purchase from Trendwest for $.08 each, but they do not carry the "once every five year" restrictions.

I HAVE EXTRA CREDITS THAT I AM PUTTING UP FOR AUCTION!

You are bidding for a block of 1000 Worldmark credits for one time use. You may use the credits for any Worldmark property, or for an exchange with RCI, I.I., etc.

You must be a current Worldmark account owner to purchase these 1000 accrued Worldmark credits for one-time use. These are perfect if you are planning an extended vacation or family reunion. I have lots of credits available, so let me know if you need more.

On completion of auction I will need you name; address; phone number; and membership number. You do NOT need to have a pending reservation to transfer the credits, but you do need to book a reservation before the credits expire. (I have blocks with various expiration dates.) We will discuss the method of payment after the auction.


eBay item: 5565033115
eBay seller: tdw67 (35 rating)

This auction has also been listed with "Submit Best Offer" which I had never seen on eBay before. This is a feature where bidders can submit an alternative offer which, if accepted, is binding. I'm always impressed with eBay's ability to innovate!


The seller has 5000 credits and is selling them for 7c each but says that you must be a current WorldMark participant. I think I saw in the WMSP disclosure information that you can transfer credits between unitholders.


However, I have seen listings where there weren't restrictions on buyers -- that is, anybody could purchase.



Tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home