Keeping watch on Trendwest / WorldMark by Wyndham

Monday, May 01, 2006

Hong Kong & Asia

I recently received this question from a reader:

I'm trying to find out if I can use my Trendwest credits in Hong Kong (also want to take the kids to Hong Kong Disneyland). I can't seem to find any associated resorts/affiliate hotels. Any tips?

Since I'm not a Worlmark member, I sent the question through to Terry from Redseason since I think he knows everything on this topic.

Terry obliged with this reply:

Currently the holiday options in Hong Kong are fairly limited as their doesn't appear to be any significant timeshare of any type in Hong Kong itself. There are a few resorts in mainland China that are within a reasonable distance of Hong Kong that are on the RCI exchange listing. There are two resorts listed at Shenzhen which is about 25km from Hong Kong and another resort at Songgang which is a bit further away.

Of course if they were heading to Disneyland in California or Disneyworld in Florida there are a whole lot of options available - Trendwest has resorts in both locations and there are literally dozens of resorts available through RCI in both places as well. My brother recently visited Florida and was able to get two weeks in resorts in Florida for a total of 6000 credits (3000 per week) using the RCI short-notice exchange option.

Although it hasn't been officially confirmed yet there are strong rumours that Trendwest will be starting up an Asian club later this year. Currently I don't have any more information on where the resorts are to be located or even what the arrangments will be between the new club and the two existing clubs (USA and South Pacific) but I assume there will be sharing of resorts between the new club so that will open up more options in Asia without Trendwest owners having to use an exchange company such as RCI. As soon as I get any more information on this new club it will be announced in our newsletter and posted on our website.
Thanks for that info, Terry. I guess if you live in Hong Kong, your holiday choices are either mainland China or "overseas", so the exchange companies would no doubt play a role.

My personal contacts also reveal that Hong Kong Disneyland is pretty busy at the moment, with all the pent-up demand after its opening. It also has fewer attractions than the other Disney locations. I'd also highly recommend Tokyo Disneyland -- it has easy transport off a train line and is a little 'out of town' so you might be able to get some cheaper accommodation. And, boy, those Japanese sure know their Disney songs!

-- Fabbo

Tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home